What is Method in Java? | Core Java Tutorials
This Core Java Tutorials “Introduction to methods in java” post is providing clear information about definition of method, calling method, classification of methods and much more.
- A block of instructions having Identity.
- Every method is taking input, processing input and returns output.
- Input is called “Arguments list”
- Output is called “Return type”
- We must place processing logic inside a block is called “body of method”.
- Every method must be called explicitly (using its identity).
- Every method is having 2 things.
1. Method Definition.
2. Method call.
- Method definition is a block of instructions where we define logic.
- Method call is a single statement used to invoke the method in the application.
Why we need to call a method explicitly?
- Look at the example shown in the diagram.
- Every electronic device (object) having much inbuilt functionality.
- But the functionality of any object will not execute automatically(tv will not be controlled itself)
- Another object (controller) is required to access functionality of any object.
Classification of Methods:
- No arguments(input) and No return values(output)
- With arguments and No return values
- With arguments and With return values
- No arguments and With return values