ODBC – Open Database Connectivity in Java | JDBC Tutorials
This JDBC Tutorials “Open Database connectivity post” post explains clearly what is ODBC, need to odbc, location of odbc drivers in Operating system.
- ODBC stands for Open Database Connectivity.
- It is a standard middle ware API (developed using other languages such as C, C# except java) for accessing DBMS.
- The aim of ODBC designers is to make it independent of database systems.
- ODBC is independent to operating Systems.
- ODBC accomplishes DBMS independence by using an ODBC driver.
- ODBC Driver is working like a translation layer between the Application and the DBMS.
- ODBC was originally developed by Microsoft during the early 1990s.
- ODBC drivers will be installed along with OS.